Welcome to Ollivander's

Ollivanders

The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter, it is not always clear why. I think it is clear, however, that we can expect great things from you. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things--terrible! yes, but great.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Maybe You Could Educate My Mind

A Picture from my PCS Vision Camera

When did the signs that simply read "ELEVATOR" go out of style? Why is there a pictorial illustration attempting to explain the higher functions of an elevator? You can see some Braille hieroglyphics below; that I can understand--to an extent (do blind people just feel the walls until they happen upon something to read?)--but the picture, I cannot. For that matter, why is there a sign announcing the presence of an elevator anyway? Are there existing people who see those gigantic retractable steel doors and not know what it's all about?

Somebody help me out.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Wrathful Buddha said...

I think the sign is for the blind mainly, and the picture is to explain the brail on the wall.

October 16, 2004 8:46 PM  
Blogger bsilverthorne said...

Maybe it is for our fine Spanish speaking friends that have not learned some of the more complicated words like elevator. I am able to see how this could pose a problem for those who have not yet made it to the E's in thier Spanish to English Pocket Dictionaries.

¿Dónde está el elevador? Ohh! Un momento. Yo veo el retrato.

October 18, 2004 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home